Friday, April 24, 2009

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Program...

Today was suppose to be Fun Friday. I was going to give my additions to "the List". But unfortunately, I went through the check out line at the grocery store last night, and the subject had to change.

I've kept quiet politically the last few weeks. I held my tongue when the President told his French audience that Americans were arrogant. I didn't respond when he bowed to the Saudi Arabian King (and then said that he was only "picking up a penny") I didn't scream when he decided that "terrorists" would now be referred to as "enemy combatants" (although my heart went out to all of those victims and their families from 9/11 who had to hear that). I tried to remain calm when he said he was closing Guantanamo Bay without knowing where the prisoners would go.

But his past week has pushed me overboard. Would somebody please explain to me how you can mug it up with dictators like Hugo Chavez and the Castro brothers, yet talk about how water-boarding the guys who participated in the 9/11 attacks was immoral? Does anyone besides me see the hypocrisy here? Our journalist, Danny Pearl, was beheaded for being Jewish, and nobody apologizes to us, but we use some tactics (with doctors present, mind you) to get information out of KNOWN bad guys, and our President feels the need to go around the world on some sort of "I Apologize For America" tour.

As I stood in the grocery line last night, 8 out of 10 magazines had some sort of picture of Obama on the front. This ridiculous hero-worship thing has gotten out of hand. Can someone please tell our President to PUT A SHIRT ON. I have no desire to see my President running on the beach without his shirt. Another magazine tells us "How Barrack and Michelle Keep their Love Alive" .....STOP!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to know! Too much information. Listen, I'm happy they seem to have a good marriage. So did Ronald and Nancy, Jimmy and Rosalind, George and Barbara...the list goes on and on. Why is this news?

In a town hall meeting in Los Angeles, the President made a reference about the show "Gossip Girls". Does this not bother anyone but me? The fact that he has even heard about that show weirds me out. His girls are too young to know about it. It sure doesn't seem like Michelle's genre...so how the heck does he know about it? And another thing...I don't want to see him up on any stage hugging Fergie of the Black-Eyed Peas! It's just all too "Mr. Hollywood comes to Washington". Is anybody worried like me that instead of monitoring the blunders of his Secretary of Homeland Security (who just this week ticked off our friends and neighbors in Canada by falsely claiming that participants in the 9/11 attacks came through the Canadian borders), he and Michelle are sitting in bed with a copy of US magazine at night reading articles about themselves and giggling?

Last week he listened to Daniel Ortega, the dictator that Reagan worked so hard to have ousted from his Nicaraguan regime, give a blistering thesis on the United States...only to respond by joking about being glad that "Ortega didn't blame me for things that happened when I was three").

In my view, this apologist stuff has gone far enough. He's not speaking for me anymore...and I think millions of Americans feel the same way. I'm all for trying to get along in the world, but not at the cost of sacrificing the values of our country. And I find his arrogance to be a little scary. The view that somehow HE is going to lead the world to peace is not only naive...but seriously misleading. He has said he will sit down with Iranian president Ahmadinejad, you know, the guy who claims the Holocaust didn't happen and called Israel a country of racists? He's going to sit down with him and discuss the fact that they have ramped up their WMD program...and I guess he's thinks he's going to talk him out of it...you know...use his "I'm Barrack Obama, I'm a nice guy" charm...and Ahmadinejad will immediately disarm and agree to "behave".

I've tried to keep quiet. I've chastised Limbaugh, Hannity and all of the other extreme right-wingers for not shutting up and giving him a chance. But my patience is running out. I am the kind of person who apologizes easily when I feel I'm wrong. The words "I'm Sorry" come out of my mouth everyday. But I do not like the concept of apologizing when I did nothing wrong...or apologizing to be magnanimous...or even worse, someone making apologies for me when I didn't ask them to....

So until next week, when the subjects will be lighter, the "List" will grow longer, and we'll go to Paris for a few days....I promise.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Total agreement from the Norwood household. The word "celebrity" has become part of the White House and that is not the direction we need to be going in.