Thursday, April 23, 2009

Random Reader Response

Today will be a "this and that" day. I've collected several reader comments over the last couple of weeks that need responses. So here we go:

1) Last weekend a reader asked me to list the websites I refer to frequently because she hadn't heard of some of them. I appreciate her pointing this out, as there is nothing worse than having someone make oblique references. The following are my go-to sites listed in no particular order:

http://www.bluefly.com/ This is a great site where you can find discounted designer clothing and home items. They add to the mix every day, and they send out daily specials. Now they carry very high-end designers, so even at 40-50-% off, the prices are still crazy high (like the Hermes enamel bangle which is currently marked down 10% to $450) but you can find some really great bargains if you search. This is a great place to shop if you have an "event" to go to and need something different and special. It is also an easy site to navigate. I always have about 4 items in my "cart", but I only actually buy about once a year.

http://www.jcrew.com/ My favorite...they send out (especially lately) weekly sale "coupons" where you can type in certain words at check out and get your discount. They also update the site frequently which makes it fun to shop.

http://www.vivre.com/ I've never bought anything from this site, but it is very cleverly designed and they carry "cool" items. Again, the prices keep me from buying, but I like to look.

http://www.net-a-porter.com/ I bought something on here a long time ago and it comes beautifully packaged and all that. Another fun site to peruse, but very expensive.


http://www.goop.com/ Gwenyth Paltrow's weekly blog. I love this cute site where she writes little diatribes about food, fashion and life. The entries are short and sweet and interesting. If the choice is between her blog or mine...go for hers, because it is so well-designed and she has so much more interesting information to disperse.


http://www.iqvc.com/ No, I'm not buying porcelain dolls or anything, but you'll be surprised at the cosmetic lines and the jewelry lines they carry...and the daily specials are always worth glancing at....


www.shopbop.com- This site is really too young for me, but if you are in your 20's, it is a good one.
www.katespade.com - Again, a very well-designed site that is just fun to shop, and they do have a sale section which I have bought from before. Their items also come packaged very nicely.

That's enough for today. I'll try to add to these from time to time.

2) Another reader suggested that I come up with a new word for "lovely" because I use it too much. Listen, I agree with this...I do use it a lot. But I just really like the word. Nothing else describes something like "lovely". It isn't "pretty", which is too generic. It isn't "beautiful", which seems to imply perfection....It just implies subtle, flawed beauty/sweetness. I use this word like Carrie Bradshaw used "fabulous". It is my go-to word and my apologies, because I am likely to keep doing it. (But thanks for pointing it out)

3)Everyone has been sending in comments on the items from the "List". The "favorite" seems to be the Root Awakening Shampoo by John Frieda, followed closely by the Flirty Mango shaving cream. As a side bar, the new Self magazine also had Root Awakening on their "best" list. Please note that my list came out days before the magazine hit the stands. Now I won't accuse them of copying me, but let's just admit that I got there first....
Also, in an attempt to constantly educate my readers on the newest products, when I ran out of Flirty Mango last week, I decided to try something different. I bought the lemon Body Wash from the Boots line at Target. As previously stated, I like that line, I love lemon and the packaging is so cute. But big disappointment. The lemon smell is too artificial and it doesn't lather. Because I absolutely hate to waste anything, I'll finish it out (or maybe put it in the little one's bathroom!), but then it is back to the beloved Flirty Mango.

The WSJ had another article today about how Mommy blogs are under attack because the moms are endorsing products that they have been sent or paid to "push". Let me just say that I WISH someone would pay me to try their products!......(The husband has already pointed out that my beauty products budget has recently risen and he suspects I will soon be attributing it to my blog...it is a good excuse though, isn't it?)

Anyway, I was going to make some additions to the "List" but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Another reader suggested that I take a day and describe my "perfect 3 days in Paris". I don't know how useful this information will be to the average reader, but just the thought of it gave me so much joy that I have already begun planning next weeks blog on the subject...

So until tomorrow, when I add a few things to"The List" and wrap things up for the week...

No comments: