Friday, April 17, 2009

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Before I get to the subject of the day, I need to give a quick heads up...a sort of addendum to yesterday's List. At 6:58 this morning Bluefly.com sent out their daily advertisement for the specials of the day. Today is "Pink Trend" day and I have to say that they have accumulated some of the cutest items on the site for this sale. Now as you know if you ever go to this site. "on sale" is a very precarious term because they carry Jimmy Choo, Miu Miu and Prada, to name a few, so "on sale" can easily be over a thousand dollars. So today, if you actually put those Christian Laboutin pink stilletos or the pink Prada bag in your shopping cart, do not even let me know. The sale price is still too much to allow me to put them in my "cart", even for fun. However, there were some very reasonably priced items, from the Diane Von Furstenburg palm tree scarf, to the Nanette Lapore crocheted skirt, so it's worth taking a look at just for fun.

Today's subject is...(pause dramatically)...about ending the blog. It's been a lot of fun writing this every morning, but it has been pointed out by the husband that I have bored people for long enough...and without financial gain to boot...so maybe it is time to concentrate efforts elsewhere.
He also feels that my "blog personality" is not representative of my true personality, and I guess I probably agree. As previously stated, I am much braver on paper. In person, I am shy and reserved and heavily edited. A lot of thought goes into what I say. But in the blog, because I am writing so quickly, I am much less edited and much more open. There is no one standing in front of me, so I am more likely to write things I might not say. Don't know if this is good or bad.

When I began, my goal was 3 months or 1000 hits. I haven't reached the 3 months, but I am close to the 1000 hits (thanks readers), so I am re-evaluating. I don't want to be Carrie Bradshaw writing about organizing my sock drawer, and it does get harder to come up with something every day. I could take a break and then come back and be more political, which would please my brother-in-law Thomas, who enjoys those editorials. Or I could morph into a sort of "Fashion/Beauty" column, which would please my niece, who made my day by validating my "list picks" from the previous few days. Or I could write about my daughter Rachel and her exploits, which would please my daughter Rachel.

I could also decide to use the 32 minutes in the morning to focus on writing things that might actually bring financial return. But there is always the rest of the day for that kind of writing.

In the end I am torn, so I am throwing the question out into the universe and hoping that my reader(s) will give me some feedback. If you enjoy the blog and your life would be negatively impacted if you didn't get to read this daily, please find a way of letting me know. You can post something on my facebook page, or you can leave a comment on my blog site, or even send me an e-mail.

There is a great line in "You've Got Mail" where Meg Ryan's character says that so much of her life is about what she reads in books, and she questions whether or not it should be the other way around. I think that is kind of what I am feeling. Is there a sort of avoidance in this? I do not know.

I'll mull it over during the weekend, and come Monday, I'll either be here...or I'll just post "Gone Fishin'".

So until Monday, when we either move ahead or say "so long."...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a stay at home mother with 3 young children, I truly look forward to my little morning escape with you. Husbands don't understand. Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog very much. There are lots of great sites out there to give you blog topics. Don't give up! xoxo Jenn

Adrienne said...

I hope you don't stop writing, I love reading your blog during the week, either on my blackberry while drying my hair, or while waiting for my coffee to brew. It's like a little morning ritual!

Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn..I for one would be sad if you stopped writing your blog! I think that any passion, hobby or creative expression that enhances your life and personality is a gift and it would be ashame to let go. I mean, where else can I go for my two favorite topics - fashion and politics:) so here's my vote for "stay". Love, Alexa

Leah Hulsey said...

Don't stop writing! Have you seen www.dooce.com....she is a stay at home mom who started blogging with 30 followers and is now making $40,000 a month from people wanting to advertise on her blog! You don't realize who reads your blog...you connect with a lot of readers!

Lindsey said...

I look forward to reading your blog every morning when I get to work. It's part of my morning routine! No matter what the subject, serious or sarcastic, light-hearted or deep, you can just tell when someone is supposed to write! You are so talented! Besides, do you know how many people completely waste 17 minutes of their day! I'd say your blog is way more productive! But I would sincerely miss reading it.