Sunday, April 19, 2009

"Once You Make A Decision, the Universe Conspires to Make it Happen"...Emerson

So I'm back...As I signed off on Friday, I was fairly sure I was finished. But as the day went by , I received so many messages urging me to "stay" that I continued to mull it over. Some reminded me that it was not a big time commitment, so why not? Some said they read it every day with their morning coffee...and actually looked forward to it. This got me thinking because I know how it feels to look forward to the little pleasures every morning. On the day of the week when the Wall Street Journal has it's Fashion and Style section, I am filled with so much joy, and I savor every word. Many told me that they loved the fashion discussions. some liked the politics, and some just said "Stay".

Still, Saturday came and went, and I hadn't made up my mind. Sunday afternoon I picked up a book I have been reading entitled "10-10-10, A Life Transforming Idea" by Suzy Welch . She is the lovely former editor of the Harvard Business Review who was in a sort of scandalous affair with retired CEO of GE, Jack Welch, several years ago. They are now happily married, and she has written a very insightful book detailing the way in which she learned to make decisions in her life. When faced with decisions big or small, she asks herself 3 questions. What will be the result of my decision in 10 minutes, 10 months and 10 years? The answer to those 3 questions seems to bring clarity most of the time. Throughout the book, she interviews people from all over the world who have begun to use this process and she explains how it has worked for them. I highly recommend reading it, because in the last few days, after using the method, I find that decisions are easier and bring more peace. But I digress...

As I was reading the book Sunday, I came to this paragraph: "If you use 10-10-10, the next thing you know, you'll be applying the process to a 'Do I stay or do I go?' kind of dilema." I read the line again. Then I put the book down and thought for a minute. Was this a sign? I mean, all weekend that old song by "The Clash" kept going through my mind..."Should I Stay or Should I Go?" I hate that song, but over and over my mind kept playing it, almost taunting me. So I closed my book and performed the 10-10-10 on the decision. If I stop the blog, what would the results be in 10 minutes, 10 months or 10 years? Well, in 10 minutes...ambivalent feelings. There would be a little pressure relief, because as my friend Kelly so intuitively wrote to me on Friday, "Every day I think 'Does the blog just feel like one more thing to do during her busy day?'" Well, sometimes yes. But that leads me to the other feeling...a sort of pride at the fact that I have kept it going even when I haven't felt like it. That is where the satisfaction comes in. And let me be honest...I enjoy the feedback. Even when it is occasionally negative, because either way, someone is reading. And when I get a response that says someone really enjoyed it, I feel inspired.
Next comes the 10 months test..this one isn't as stirring...In 10 months, I would likely have moved on to something else. Pre-blog, I did yoga during that time period a few days a week. On the other days, I started working on other writing a little earlier. Either way, the impact would be minor.
Lastly would be the 10 year out test. Surprisingly, this is the one that mattered the most to me. Lately, I have been reading a great book by one of my favorite authors, Alice Steinbach. This book was her first, before her Pulitzer Prize. It is an accumulation of essays on her every day life. Some are poignant and some are funny...and they are all on the fears, hopes and worries that made up her every day life. I started thinking about how in 10 years, I might look back at this blog as a similar kind of writing. Maybe I would want to publish some of them. At the very least, it would be a snapshot of my life for an older self or for my family to read and remember. This was the closing argument for me. My decision was made and I felt pretty good about it.

So today we move on, but not without a sincere thanks to all of the readers who took the time to send me a sweet note or a quick post. I would be lying if I said that those didn't count in my decision. Like everyone else, I am not immune to compliments and praise. But beyond that, I come back today with more focus and more inspiration. I thrive on routine and organization...and I feel a new sense of both. Instead of searching for diverse subjects, I am more inclined to just write about the things I love...fashion, politics, books or whatever is happening in the world that catches my attention.

So until tomorrow, with a renewed spirit...and no particular subject in mind, except that every day is a good day to discuss fashion...

No comments: