Monday, March 1, 2010

Now I Need You. Now I Don't....

In answer to all of the questions I got all weekend long about The Boy's middle school dance...no drama. I know, very disappointing. A bit of a let-down. I suppose after the first one, the bloom is off the rose, as it were. The Husband did the big "pick up" Friday night. I decided this might be a little "cooler" for The Boy since The Husband does not ask probing questions about the dance...he just makes inappropriate jokes which later reveal themselves in inappropriate circumstances. Anyway, a friend was getting a ride home with The Boy, and rather than subject them to mom's 20 questions, I was proud of myself for handing over this duty.

As I heard him come though the door, I ran with my camera, hoping to get a few shots since he had not been in the mood for it before he left. "No Mom!" he huffed at me. But then, a small smile appeared, and I took my opportunity. He refused to smile (so not cool), but I got my picture. I started in with the questions, but it was obvious he was tired and anxious to get this over with. "The girl's wore high-heeled shoes and I danced with .......(insert the name of 6 girls)." Then he pulled out his computer and logged on to his fantasy baseball draft. I looked at The Husband, who had also logged on to this draft...and he shrugged his shoulders. "Not much to tell." That was it? I waited all night for that? "I'm tired, mom." Well ok, it had been a busy week. basketball tournament, baseball practice every day, several exams...I guess he had the right to be tired. So I hushed, because I remember not wanting to play the 20 question game with my mom either. Sometimes you're tired...or sometimes it is just nobody's business...either way, I felt a little of a let down...

Little one was ready to take up the slack. She had been researching dogs all night long and had narrowed down her favorites to around 894...and she NEEDED me to take a look at all of them...

I guess this is how it goes. You get older, and you need mom a little less and less. I have been down this road a few times before, but it is different with girls. They still wanted to talk....and talk,,,,and talk......I guess I just thought I would have a little longer with The Boy...

The next morning, he woke up early to get ready for a baseball game. I was on my way out the door. "You'll be at the game, right mom?" I nodded. "Good". ..............Ok, I can deal with that. I'm not one for a lot of conversation anyway. Just a little hint every now and then that I'm still needed...

Sunday was the Tike's big birthday bash. 4 years old. He was adorable, precious...and well-behaved. Enough to make a Noni really, really proud. As I started to leave the party, he grabbed my leg and whispered "NOOO. You can't go yet! I need you to stay!".............Through teary eyes, I agreed to hang and play play dough a bit longer. The cycle of life, I suppose...one needs you less, and one needs you more.....

So until tomorrow, when only those with an obsessive love of fashion need bother. Tomorrow's blog will be a rough draft for a fashion article...so for many of you...see you Wednesday....

No comments: