Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Love is Just a Word Until Someone Comes Along and Gives it Meaning

One of my best friends got married on Sunday. In a small, lovely city called Lille, in France. With a very small, what she would call "intime" group of family and friends there to witness it. I wish I could have been there. She knew it was coming...knew they were going to do it ....but due to work, children, and all of the intricasies of life...she just did not know exactly when. When I opened the picture she sent me yesterday, my heart leapt just a little bit. The joy on her face was touching. I have known her for 25 years, and I know by now that the look on her face was a long time coming. After a long difficult first marriage, a leveling divorce, and a few years of lonely times, a certain cynicism had crept in. The kind that prevents you from believing that somewhere down the road, good things can still happen.



I sat at a cafe in Paris with her a little over a year ago and cried with her. Life was literally knocking her for a loop. A divorce that should have concluded was dragging on and on. An ex-husband was behaving badly. He and I had never quite seen eye to eye on much (seeing as how he was the definitive french male chauvinist), but I had expected better of him. Her children had 'chosen sides', and she didn't want sides. Her pain was palpable, but at the time, all I could do was listen...and encourage....and remind her that we never know what tomorrow brings.We walked the streets of Paris, looked at at lot of art work...and she enjoyed spending time with my second generation of children. She had helped me raise the older two...and somehow, being around Little One and The Boy gave her hope. She is The Boy's godmother, and as different as they are, they forged a strong bond. Over many games of Uno and lots of chocolate mousse...he made her laugh. And she made him promise to hang a Van Gogh poster in his room and study french...and he has done both.



I have not met the wonderful "Francois" yet. In fact, I have heard little about him, because my friend is like me...she holds it all very close until she is sure. But I knew early on that this was 'it', whatever 'it' is. Because when someone who has been hurt very badly begins to smile and giggle...and once again see life as a good thing...you figure that 'it' must have happened.



And so today, I wish my friend love and happiness...and peace. Bon Mariage, Benedicte et Francois...et tout l'amour dans le monde...



Until tomorrow....

No comments: