Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Generation of Entitlement

There is an interesting letter to the editor in today's Wall Street Journal. It is in response to Charles Krauthammer's article which blames the "looming debt bomb" on entitlement. The writer goes on to explain how the younger generation has grown up with 4 particular leanings:

1) Exaggerated sense of entitlement. If you need to understand what this means, read Tiger Wood's explanation of his recent actions.
2)A generation whose parents did not let debt ever prevent them from getting whatever they wanted....which led to record personal bankruptcies, foreclosures and personal debt.
3) A failure, or at least non-proficiency in basic math, which leads them to not understand the dangers of excess debt.
4) The 'American Idol' mentality that says we can all have it all at any cost...and a preoccupation with celebrity culture.

Because of these 4 reasons, we are creating a generation that basically says "Who cares" when it comes to national debt.
From a personal perspective, it's a scary proposition. In our household, it is a daily struggle to get the kids to take personal responsibility and realize that they do not "deserve" anything and everything they want just because they are our children.

A friend who works at the local university pointed out how students take no responsibility for paying their tuition or bills on time....and parents back them up. The system is now set up to send an e-mail, twitter, facebook...plus the old-fashioned phone call, whenever the student is past due. When did this start happening? When I was in school, it was my responsibility to get my tuition paid on time. Nobody reminded me, and if I forgot, I was dropped from class. If I would have called my parents and questioned them about it, they would have chastised me for being irresponsible.

The Boy constantly begs for a phone. He thinks he deserves one because most of his friends have them. I try and explain that this means nothing. I try and explain that he has to earn things...on many levels. I try and explain that the mere birth of him into this family does not entitle him to any and everything. I try and explain that being a good kid does not mean multiple trips to Target and Best Buy. An A in math or science is rewarded by the feeling of accomplishment....not a video game.

I worked all the way through college. My parents paid my first year of tuition at a private school...and I lOVED that school...but I had to pay for everything else...and at 16, this was a stretch. The next year, when they said it was my responsibility...I had decisions to make. My social life took a hit. I had to work 3 nights a week and on the weekends. Eventually, I had to transfer to the state university. But I never felt penalized. I never once said to my parents "hey, no fair". My older brother earned a full-scholarship to FSU in basketball. They bought him a Z-28 Camero to take with him. I was thrilled for him. He had worked hard to earn it...and I thought he deserved it.

I came from a generation that understood that you don't buy L'Oreal because "I'm worth it". We didn't need constant validation...and we didn't get it. If my parents said "Good job", that meant something. I took pride in working hard. And don't get me wrong, I always enjoyed the financial rewards...and I certainly made my share of decisions based on that....but I never minded putting in the work.

I wonder how all of the celebrity/reality mentality will affect our kids. Will they become immune to what it means to be recognized because of true hard work and excellence...and not just because you were on a show for 10 minutes? Will they realize that falling in love is probably something that is best not done on camera? Will they realize that fame means nothing, but character means everything? I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I love American Idol as much as the next person. I automatically throw a pack of baseball cards in the buggy for The Boy just for fun. The fact that Little One 'needs' Converse in several colors doesn't phase me. I contribute to the "downfall" on every level. But at least I know it...

Until tomorrow, when I will try and climb down from my high horse....

No comments: