Friday, March 5, 2010

On Figuring Out What We Are Taking to the Beach

The beach departure has been delayed a day for many reasons. Between work, baseball and play rehearsal, it just made more sense to wait until tomorrow. I think I actually relaxed a bit upon hearing this news. I wasn't totally packed, and this allowed me to take my time.


The Husband came through this morning and switched keys with me. He said he needed to take my car. When I asked him why, he pretended not to hear me. When pressed, he said "I need to see if something will fit in it." Uh oh. If you happen to read about the last beach trip over the holidays, you'll understand why my stomach flip-flopped a bit. I chose, however, not to pursue the subject. Sometimes I find with The Husband that less knowledge is the way to go...

I chose to focus on the good news. We aren't taking the big white moving truck. This means I can actually drive at the beach. This means whenever we go out to eat, we don't have to park diagonally in the back of every parking lot. This means restaurants do not have to be chosen according to the size of their parking lot....Very exciting...

The Boy has done his packing. This means he has his psp, his wii and his computer. Not one thought given to clothes or anything else. The orange gym shorts and gray t-shirt he is wearing tonight will be worn day and night for the next 7 days unless I step in. Little One has also accomplished her packing. She did throw in some clothes...but you know, there is not much room left after you first pack 27 of your favorite stuffed animals...

The Husband left his packing up to me. This makes me nervous since I normally forget something...When I finally got around to pulling out my suitcase, the Husband asked if I really needed one that big? This once again made my stomach flip-flop. Why on earth would it matter if I take a big suitcase?....We aren't taking animals or tile or extra workers...or any of the other things he has slipped in on previous trips. He promised...just us. So I stood my ground and packed my bag.

The weather is probably not going to be good for lying on the beach or sunning on the balcony...but I don't care. I packed like it was. After all the winter weather the last few weeks. I need to at least act like it will be warm. Of course, in addition to the bathing suit and t-shirts, I did stick in my boots and winter coat. Might as well cover all of my bases.

When I heard The Husband pull in this evening, I debated on whether or not I should go look in my car. After all, it was out of my control. Why spoil a perfectly good evening? Why not wait until morning? Why...because I had to know. I walked out into the garage and looked in my car....And there it was...the whole trunk was filled with a gigantic ottoman. Evidently it needed to go in one of the rental units. None of the suitcases were even in the car, and it was already full. "It'll all fit" he said as I stared......And listen, I have no doubt that he will make it all fit. We will be packed tighter than a can of sardines, but it will all fit....The good news is, I doubt the ottoman is heavy enough to cause the tires to blow....

So off we go tomorrow. I am hoping for a peaceful and restful trip, but I don't quite believe it. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: