Monday, March 8, 2010

And the Oscar Goes To....

We weren't going to watch the Oscars last night. Everyone was doing their own thing. The Husband and The Boy were watching a basketball game. Big Sis and Little One were watching a dancing show. SIL was doing homework. I was in the workout room pretending to workout, but actually just staring at the ocean. But by 11:00 last night, we were all piled on the bed in our bedroom watching and commenting. This is especially humorous with The Husband and SIL throwing their sarcastic comments back and forth...sprinkled with a few random observations from The Boy.



Anyway, a few quick thoughts:



1) Loved Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin co-hosting. The shot of them backstage in the double snuggie was hilarious.



2) The pre-show Red Carpet talk with Ryan Seacrest was mind-numbing. I love to see the dresses, but Ryan needs to 'take it down a notch'.



3) We all cheered when Sandra Bullock won. Loved her in the Blind Side and The Proposal. She looked absolutely gorgeous. We also thought her acceptance speech was sincere.



4) You know I have to comment on the best dresses. I LOVED Sarah Jessica Parker's gown. I felt it was the most fashion-worthy. The Husband said she looked like the Statue of Liberty. Big Sis hated the dress but could "see you wearing it".....wasn't quite sure how to take that, but chose to take it as a compliment.

I didn't love the Chanel that Charlize Theron wore. I thought the strategically-placed flowers were odd. But she is still a lovely woman. Big Sis loved Maggie Gyllenhal's dress, and I agreed...she looked very fresh and pretty. I felt Meryl Streep's gown was too matronly. Last year, she looked 10 years younger. Helen Miren continues to make 60-something look sexy. Michell Pfieffer looked exquisite. She continues to be the "hope" for anyone who is trying to age naturally. I thought her red dress was elegant, yet sexy. I hated Barbara Stiesand's look. She normally wears some sort of drapey Donna Karan that flatters, but I just didn't care for this one.

5) Now for the men.....Ryan Reynolds looked handsome, as usual. George Clooney needed a haircut. (Would it sound really awful to say that this aging bachelor look of interchangeable beautiful dates by his side is getting old? I'm starting to feel sad for him.) Colin Firth is so adorable, but I thought he needed a haircut , too. Colin Ferrel looked sober and handsome. Jeff Bridges looked like Jeff Bridges. I used to have such a crush on him back in the 'Starman' and 'Mirror Has Two Faces' days. I was SO happy he won. He just oozes niceness.

6) The Boy uses two words to describe the gowns..."ooh lala", which means they are revealing....or "gross"...which I have yet to translate.

7) I was glad that 'Avatar' didn't win. I didn't see it, but I always root for the underdog...and i have never forgiven James Cameron for his corny yet arrogant proclamation of "I'm King of the World" when he won for "Titanic"........Is there any poetic license in the fact that his ex-wife won for Best Picture?

All and all a nice evening. Not sure what's on TV tonight...too bad 'The Bachelor" is over..I''m sure The Husband and the SIL would have had some choice comments...

So until tomorrow, when the subject will be how The Husband needs to learn that if he starts a sentence with "No offense, but...", it probably doesn't need to be said.....

No comments: