Thursday, January 7, 2010

On Getting Back into the Routine....

It's back to the routine after taking a few weeks off. No more doughnuts for breakfast...back to the "yummy" healthy smoothies. A few nights ago, I went for a short walk and jog, and I could barely make it. The next morning, I attempted my strenuous yoga routine, but I was huffing and puffing half way through it. Yesterday, I helped paint the set for Little One's upcoming production of "Grease". Now there was quite a bit of reaching and stretching involved...but this morning, I literally could hardly get out of bed. As I tried to walk up the 18 stairs to wake The Boy and Little One, I had tears in my eyes....What happened to the days when taking a few days off did not have to mean torture when I started back? You know you are getting a bit older when you keep asking yourself what on earth you did to be so sore...and realize it wasn't much...

As I said, the big "Grease" production is days away. Little One despises her 50's get up...she cannot understand why any girl would have warn a big poodle skirt and a twin set sweater. Of course, Little One hasn't put on a dress in about a year. We are definitely in our tomboy phase. I'm lucky if I can get her to wear anything besides her gym shorts and a t-shirt. The only thing that she really worries about is the hair. She wants it long and straightened.....I can use that for blackmail on just about anything. Threatening to not straighten the hair is much more potent than lowering bedtime or grounding.....

I'm heading over again today to help with set painting for "Grease". Though I was dreading it initially, it is actually quite fun. The 'Director' guy is very laid back...there are no "wrong" ways to do anything. It somehow reminded me of college...why, I have no idea, since I never did anything remotely similar in college.... Maybe it was being around all of the young girls in the cast and hearing all of their stories. The funniest part of the day came when they were having trouble laying some tape in a straight line for painting. I suggested they measure and mark it off at different points...."Wow, good idea" they replied. "Are you a professional?".....

So that is it for today. We are forecasted to get some snow, which means I better join all of my southern friends at the grocery store and buy milk, bread and eggs. I suppose people are making french toast or something when they get snowed in.....A friend of mine suggested that a better list would include "wine, fireplace wood, and pizza delivery guys with 4 wheel drive"....my thoughts exactly...

Until tomorrow....

No comments: