Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's 'Idol' Time Again....

I love when 'American Idol' starts back every year. It's such a great family night to sit around and watch together. Last night, I was forced to tape my favorite Wednesday night shows because of 'Idol'. Then I had to stay up too late and watch the taped shows...well, ok...."had to" is being used very loosely here. I wanted to stay up and watch them because they are so funny...and I have to be able to talk about them with friends the next day...

My favorite person on 'Idol' last night was the country singer from Vonore, Tennessee. My hometown is only 10 minutes from there, and my oldest brother actually lives there. I pass the bridge they showed her jumping every time I go home. Anyway, I loved her vulnerability, and I loved that they were so kind to her. Especially Simon. But he was right in saying that she is incredibly ill-prepared for Hollywood. The thing about 'American Idol' that people underestimate is that it requires more from somebody than just talent. That Hollywood week requires a bit of toughness, a small knowledge of music....and the ability to deal with girls who can best be described with a word I do not use. I'm warning everyone now.....if the pink dress girl from Vonore gets made fun of or put down out there...I may have to fly out there and hit someone.....That is just the country-tomboy coming out in me.

The one thing I didn't like that the Vonore girl said was that she was trying out for 'Idol' because it was the only way to get out of Vonore. I understood. She was obviously from a family of small means...but Vonore is actually lovely, and it is less than 30 minutes away from 2 great colleges...and I am an alumnus of both. Maryville College is right down the road, and UT is about 45 minutes away. I just thought that the inference that 'Idol' was her only way out was sad....

The Boy is home sick today. Nothing serious, just a miserable cold. He got up and got dressed...and it was actually me who suggested he stay home. He looked pitiful. I asked if he had any pressing tests or quizzes..and he said 'no'. I suggested he stay home, but The Boy is very responsible, and he had to think it over. Finally, he gave in to his misery and headed back upstairs. Big Sis and Senior are now saying out loud that I must have mellowed if I suggested someone stay home from school......Re-read what I said, girls....HE HAD NO TESTS OR QUIZZES.....enough said.

Tonight is the premier of the new season of Project Runway. I sound like a real TV head here, huh? I usually have my nose stuck in a book while everyone else watches....but not this week. I live vicariously through that show because I would have liked to have that talent...

So until tomorrow, when The Boy will hopefully feel better. Little One has a big basketball game tonight, so she is on pins and needles...

No comments: