Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Is it Spring Yet? ( the Fashion Blog)

Why is it that right after the holidays, when it is still below freezing outside, the spring catalogues start showing up in the mail box? You've just bought all the Christmas presents...and you're wearing your sweaters and boots...and here comes the spring bathing suit catalogue and the resort catalogue. Now as a previous buyer, I can answer the more literal part of that question....the buying for these items has already occurred. But the more fun part of the answer is that these catalogues come just about the time we are ready for warm weather again. When you are freezing just walking out to the mailbox, it's nice to open up a catalogue and see pretty spring clothes....



On this note, I happened to pop onto the J Crew facebook page the other day. Their stylist "Jenna", who puts together a kind of 'top 10' list every season, had posted a picture of some 'must have' pieces. There was a kind of 'online' fight going on as to whether this look was relevant or not. Now, the job of the stylist is to create a kind of feeling. The look is not so much based on the individual pieces, but it is the total picture. I happened to love the picture. I thought it was a great mix of texture and color. I couldn't...or wouldn't... personally wear all of the pieces, but the picture caused me to look more closely at each individual piece. To me, this meant she had succeeded. But many had posted comments on the site critiquing the picture. I hit 'like' just to give Jenna a little support. (If you participate on facebook, you know that 'like' is a lazy way of saying 'I like that'.) This, in turn, made Big Sis laugh... I believe the word she used was "dork". But the niece quickly came to my rescue. She too had seen the picture....and she was more interested in whether or not I liked the sequined shorts.....so, here is my take on the "list'...once again, it's just my opinion...and who cares what I think anyway??



1) The sequined shorts.....These shorts got slammed more than any other item, and I understand why. You would have to be of a certain age and have great legs to pull these off. The niece could wear them. Britney Spears could wear them. Most people could not or would not wear them. But I think they were a very cool part of the whole look.



2) The boyfriend blue oxford shirt.....I love this shirt. It's a wardrobe staple. You can dress it up or down...and it's a great layering piece. She layered it under a sequined tank, which I thought was a really neat mix of texture. I wouldn't wear the sequined shorts...but I would sure wear the sequined tank. I can see it over a white shirt with a pair of jeans...but I can also see it over a sleek pencil skirt...



3)Long Beach cardigan.....at first glance, this one looks old-fashioned and dated...but the shape and texture are very modern...I would wear this over jeans or skirts...but I would also wear it as a robe or a bathing suit cover-up....again, versatility is the key.



4) Zoe Blazer...I am a real lover of jackets and blazers, but I prefer a more tailored jacket. There is a cute 'boyfriend' blazer that I have kept in my online 'wish list' for a month...but it needs a discount before I take the plunge....The Zoe blazer is too boxy for my taste...I don't like anything that doesn't compliment shape....



5) 'Bonne Vie' blue and striped scarf....Love this one...very Parisien, very chic.....perfect with jeans...very cozy-looking...



So that's it for today...6 through 10 to come.....



Until tomorrow....

No comments: