Monday, January 25, 2010

A Little Correction....l

I'm going to begin the week with a small correction. I got so many comments on my Saturday blog that I feel compelled to come clean. The point of the blog was to express how I was a little over-competitive. In my attempt to make the point, I did exaggerate a bit.( The Husband is now thinking to himself that I exaggerate about him all of the time, but this is not true.)

In regards to Little One's basketball game, I did holler out a few complaints to the referees, but nothing mean-spirited. In fact, half-way through the game, one of the guys ran by and whispered, "I know how frustrating this is. I use to coach a girl's team, too." After the game, I might have wanted to grit my teeth while shaking hands...but I didn't.

In The Boy's game, I did, indeed, get yelled at by an opposing fan, but truthfully, it was her frustration, and nothing I did. I didn't even respond to her...but I did yell loudly for The Boy after that.

My point that day was that I think I should keep the bigger picture in mind during these games. Last night, my beloved Vikings, led by my hero Brett Favre, got beat. The first quarter, I may have e-mailed the network complaining bout how the announcers were for the opposing Saints (they were!!). I yelled at the tv screen. Finally, The Husband made a sarcastic remark, which forced me to hush. I will forever appreciate The Boy and Little One for cheering with me. Somehow, it is easier to lose when you're not alone.

As I think about it, I think this kind of enthusiasm (kept in check) is a good thing. As you get older, you experience lots of things....but the giddy joy of winning, and the child-like feelings that come with it, are rare. This is why I have rooted for Brett Favre. I love to see honest child-like enthusiasm. When he runs around the field like a crazy man, chest-bumping everyone in sight, I am filled with joy. While we were on vacation, Little One and I were watching a game, and after a score, I jumped up and down. Little One found this very funny...this is not my usual behavior. At one point last night, when I had stifled my reactions...Little One and The Boy said "Come on mom, jump up and down!" Even The Husband threatened to turn it if I didn't react.

So the point today is that even though I may have exaggerated my reactions...the feelings were there. And I guess what I was trying to say was that sometimes I need to keep things in perspective. On the other hand, a little bit of giddy joy never hurt anyone....and also, thinking it is not the same as doing it....right?....

Until tomorrow. A new week, a new painting, and lots to discuss....And a very Happy Birthday to the father-in-law!.....

No comments: