Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Last Day of School

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the year. I think I am filled with as much excitement and anticipation as the kids. I'm ready for no-pressure mornings and later bedtimes that don't involve the question "Are you sure that you have finished all of your homework?" I'm ready to leave 6th grade math and science behind, because it reminded me of my own weak skills in those areas. I'm ready to leave spelling tests behind for awhile and actually do something besides stress on Thursday nights. I'm ready to stop perusing cookbooks for good lunch box items, knowing in the end that they will ask for the same old things...everyday. But I'm also thankful for what has been a really good year at a really good school.

So a quick recap of some afore-mentioned stuff:

1) The Boy played the role of Thesius in "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream". The play was performed by the entire 6th grade. The drama teacher deserves a lot of credit...it was not only very well-rehearsed, cast and dressed...but it well-acted. It was very entertaining, and while The Boy is probably not headed for a career in acting, he gave a fine performance.

2) Writer's Forum was yesterday. Each 6th grader reads a piece they have written during the year. I hosted the event for the kids, teachers and 100 parents. It is one of those volunteer jobs that you say "yes "to months earlier...and then wonder why you did...But all in all, it went very well. The kids did a great job reading their work. The Boy had written a character sketch on a favorite teacher, and I was surprised at how well-written it was. He surprises me from time to time.

3) Little One had her field trip to the Dairy Farm today. I accompanied her on the trip. Not only was it very interesting....but we got to enjoy ice cream at the end. I was a little concerned when I heard that she had pre-chosen my flavor...but pleasantly surprised when I stepped up and received my strawberry cheesecake..."Well I know you like strawberries and I know you like cheesecake...so I figured it was a good choice".....Excellent choice...

4) The Boy had his field trip to mine gold today. He jumped in the car anxious to show off his treasures...a test-tube full of "gold that is probably worth about $500...I'll put it towards a phone"...I love the way The Boy thinks....

5) I found out this week that an article I had written that was very close to my heart is being published. This was exciting to me on so many levels. I shared the news with Big Sister...and she sent me flowers. This is the lovely thing about Big Sister...she is not only kind , loving and beautiful...but she is thoughtful too. Thanks again Big Sis....

6) Here is the big news of the week...my new cell phone arrived in the mail...yesterday. Can you believe it? One day after I called the company...unbelievable. What a cry-baby I was (refer to previous blog). I ought to call the customer service girl back and apologize...

So that is it for the week. Tomorrow will be honors day for The Boy and Field Day for the girl...so I will take a day Blog Day-off to participate and celebrate...and so...

Until next week...when it will be a new relaxed, zen, summer vacation kind of week...

No comments: