Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bon Appetite

We were suppose to be flying to Paris today, but I think we'll go tomorrow instead. A reader sent me a note this weekend and asked why I never discuss food. I don't really have a good answer for that. I love to eat and I like to cook, but probably the best reason is that I'm pretty disciplined about my diet. Most of the time, I eat what I should instead what I want, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it when I do pick what I like.


As usual, I'm just going to be pretty random about this. Below is a list of food and drink in no particular order that I like:


1) I ran in my local Kroger's the other day to pick up a couple of things, but I was met with some really sad news...the Starbucks was gone. I literally paused for a moment of silence. I loved that place. I mean, I rarely used it because I've always had a hard time spending $3.99 on a cup of coffee. I have a really good European coffee maker that makes great coffee, and I have some really cute to-go holders, so it isn't very often that I let myself splurge. The other problem is that Starbucks always has cute stuff..you know? Their mugs and to-go cups are always thematic of the season and very cool. They have neat little gift items like candy and cookies and biscotti...and of course the stuffed animals that my little one immediately runs for. And I like the CD's at their counter too . Anyway, it was no more. They built a stand-alone store across the street about a year ago, and I was afraid this might happen. I only hope the sweet lady who worked in there got to move across the street and work. She could carry on a nice conversation and make a great espresso at the same time...

2) On the same subject, if you are looking for a really good coffee, order Grey Dog's Coffee online. The store is in New York City. While you are ordering their coffee, pick up their cute little signature mug with the paw prints on it.

3) Ok, breakfast. Mine is the same every morning. I make this drink that I found in Mariel Hemingway's book, Healthy Living from the Inside Out. This is a great book full of healthy ideas...but at first glance, it looks way too new-agey and "aren't I zen-like?". I refer to it over and over again, and the following drink really does make me feel better...if not physically, then psychologically.
Morning Shake

1 cup almond milk (I like the vanilla flavor)
1tbsp flaxseed oil
1 scoop protein powder (vanilla flavored whey)
1 cup blueberries (or whatever fruit you like, fresh or frozen)

Mix in blender for a minute and enjoy,

4) Since I drink that darn shake every morning, this past weekend when we were headed to a baseball tournament, I broke down and had a Hardee's sausage biscuit. Gosh, those are good. I can take or leave the sausage, but those biscuits are great. Probably fat-laden...but we don't need to go there. Besides, they remind me of my dad. He use to go pick them up for us on the weekend. Funny how food invokes those really good memories...

5) While we are on fast-food places, let me just say that the jamoica shake at Arby's is the best. When I was pregnant, that was my main craving. I find it hard to drive by Arby's without thinking of those shakes...and of course, the curly fries.

6) If anyone has tried those new pastas from Pizza Hut, let me know. They looked delicious while I was watching TV last night at 10:00, but since I try not to eat after 8:00, everything looks good at 10:00...

7) After a weekend of motel/fast-food, nothing is better than a piece of salmon and broccoli. I marinade it in soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, pepper and garlic. It is great on the grill, but last night it was pouring rain, so I just broiled it and it was delicious.

8) And for dessert, the Skinny Cow Latte drumstick. Oh my gosh, this is good. You will assume it isn't when you see the box...but it will pleasantly surprise you. When I was a little girl, I loved those Drumsticks in the blue box. You know, the ice cream cone covered in chocolate and nuts? Gabrielle has taken over my obsession with these. I can buy them and not worry about eating them because she will finish them quickly. Now the Skinny Cows do not have nuts...but I'm telling you, at 130 calories....really good.

9) If you like yogurt (or really, even if you don't) try Cabot's Greek-style Lowfat in Vanilla bean. I am obsessed with this. Only one grocery store in the area carries it, and I go there just to buy this. They were out for several weeks, and I needed to go to yogurt rehab. No other brand even comes close. If you throw some granola on the top, it tastes like a dessert, and it fills you up for hours.

10) If you've ever seen those croissants in the William-Sonoma catalogue and wondered why anyone would order those instead of just buying them in the grocery store bakery...you need to reconsider. The good news is, they taste just like the croissants you get at the cafes in Paris. The bad news is that after you try them, you cannot go back to whatever those are at the grocery store.

Ok, that's it for today. I'll keep a running list on the food like I do on the fashion...not as fun, but a little diversity is good..

So until tomorrow when it is springtime in Paris...

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

The pizza hut pastas are not as yummy as they look on tv! I wouldn't waste the 10 bucks or whatever the cost.I am obsessed with Cabots greek yogurt! I put Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal on top, it has granola and I think flax-lots of protein etc. Good post, made me hungry!!!

Robyn said...

I wish I would have read your comment ealier...I broke down and tried them!! I agree....the chicken alfredo was good, but meat marinara was...average. And the worst news is that I ate the breadsticks to fill up !

I think you were somehow separated from me at birth...