Friday, May 15, 2009

"If Botticelli were alive today, he'd be working for Vogue"

Today is Fashion Friday. I like to mention this upfront as a warning because this allows some readers to now log off (like the husband).


Yesterday was the day during the week I look forward to...Fashion and Style section in the Wall Street Journal. This usually includes some very interesting article on a designer, or at the very least, an interesting question about What To Wear. Not so yesterday. We were left with a very mediocre article on men's underwear (not sure there can be a good article on this subject) and a quick discussion about what to wear when the invitation says "formal attire". This lead to the inevitable conclusion that the LBD (Little Black Dress) is always the safest choice. Here is the problem with that. I showed the husband a picture of a Ralph Lauren dress last night which was in my new Vogue. It may be The most classic, beautiful dress I'd ever seen. I only showed it to him because it needed to be shown to someone ,and no one else was around. Here is the following conversation that ensued:


Me: Isn't this dress beautiful?


The Husband: How much is it?


Me: $2,595....It isn't a request...just pointing out how pretty it is.


The Husband: Don't you have one that looks just like it?


Me: No! Not even close.


Ok. There is the problem with the LBD. Over the last several years, I have collected quite a few of them. I have the black velvet strapless, the black halter, the black sheath, the black sleeveless empire waist, the black one-shoulder....well, you get the idea. The list goes on and on. While I have nothing that even compares to the fabulous Ralph Lauren, I have plenty of others...enough that the fashion-leery husband even notices. On the other hand, they are all well-worn. When an event pops up and I don't have "anything to wear", one of these always works. And that is why the article disappointed me....because this is nothing new. And by the way...$2,595? I just want to wear it, not live in it or drive it.

Later in the day, on my way to pick-up line at school, I flip through the mail and my heart skips a beat. The new Vogue has arrived and this always excites me. Now the question becomes, Do I read it in line?...or do I wait until later? Well, the cover is so gorgeous I have to dive in. Sandra Bullock is on the cover looking absolutely stunning in a red Donna Karan dress. Her hair is messy-perfect...my kind of hair. The dress is perfect (if I can't "have" the black Ralph Lauren" inside, I'll "take" this one) and it is shot on the beach...just lovely. In fact, I will have to write a letter to the editor, which is normally only something I do when I feel they have committed a political faux-pas...but that is the story for another blog.

Among the highlights inside the magazine:

1) A great list layout of items under $300....Now I know $300 is still expensive, but in Vogue...this is really a bargain....and the Kate Spade skirt with the brown zebra print and orange bottom is so cute...so is the Juicy Couture striped vest for $148. I have already mentally worked that into my wardrobe in about a hundred different ways. The JCrew silk tank is still sitting in my online shopping cart...

2)Great article on how to "Spot A Bargain"....and really...these are bargains. Very unusual for Vogue.

3) I love the section called "Fashion At Every Age"...I love the purple Nine West booties from the 20's section and the Moschino skirt from the 40's section....really, that skirt at a mere $865 is like a piece of artwork.

4)The Fashion Layout entitled "The Best of What's New" is the best I've seen in forever. I would buy every single outfit they show...especially the previously mentioned Ralph Lauren black dress. The Bottega Veneta skirt, sweater and booties would be my perfect "Go to Work" outfit...even the husband admitted this was "pretty nice".

5) And finally, the article on Sandra Bullock. It is well-written and the photos are nice. I really like her and I like the way she dresses, though she does not get a lot of attention for it.

All in all a great issue....I'm only sorry that I have already finished it...and maybe even thinking that I should have saved it for the weekend...so..

Until next week, when there is always the new Bazaar to look forward to...not to mention the new Lucky that is sitting on my nightstand....

No comments: