Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sound of Music

I'm late posting today. Every once in awhile, I head to the husband's office to help him out on some different things (it's tough having him as boss at work and home), and today was the day. I had planned on going tomorrow, but the boy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He is going on church retreat this weekend and getting picked up from school tomorrow (Friday). He said if I wanted, I could "drop by to pick up his book bag and say good bye" before he leaves. It took me about 2 seconds to switch my work plans in my mind because as previously stated, I am probably weeks away from these type of offers disappearing...


So on a lovely Thursday morning, I dress up, (which I like to do since most mornings I am in jeans and a t-shirt while writing) and I take the 45 minute drive into the office. Now unlike the husband who has to make this drive twice a day, I actually enjoy it. Most of it is through pretty farm land, and it is the one chance I get to listen to the music that I like. After school pick up the other day, the Boy and the Little One had a discussion about the music I have on the CD player. The following were the results of the conversation:


1) The Taylor Swift CD which is really the Little One's which she graciously "let me borrow and really needs it back" is the favorite...for both of them. Even the boy likes this one. They agree that "Romeo and Juliet" is the best song, but I highly disagree, pointing out that #12 which I think is called The Best Day (about fathers and daughters ) is far and beyond the winner.

2) James Taylor. Boring. Please mom...not that again. See, now I can be ok with that because that is exactly what Big Sister used to say when she was little and now guess what CD I saw in her car the other day? (Well, she had 2 JT's...mine and Justin Timberlake)

3) Soundtrack to Les Miserables....I think it goes without saying that this is not their favorite...although Little One thinks "I Dreamed A Dream" is ...."kind of ok".

4) Aerosmith's Greatest Hits....Most people are surprised to see this in my car, but this is one of my all-time favorite...oops, I almost said album....CD's. "Walk This Way" is not only my favorite song to run to, but it is also the song I think that Adam should have sung on American Idol. Steven Tyler has an amazing voice. I saw him a couple of weeks ago on some PBS show singing that old Streisand song "Smile". His dad was in the audience and he had dedicated it to him. It was absolutely beautiful. On the other hand, I saw him in person at some event a few years ago, and it was a little disappointing...I won't say why....

5)Wynonna. What the World Needs Now. I love Wynonna Judd. That girl can plain sing. But some of the songs on this one are just beautiful The kids never complain.

6) Eagles. Anything. Nobody is allowed to say anything bad about Don Henley. These songs are all classics. I saw them in concert a couple of years ago....fantastic.

7)Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits. Little One requests "ABC" 50 times a day. The Boy likes it too. They also like "Black and White" and She's Mine". Ok, they don't like "She's Mine"....but I do, so tough.

8) And last but not least, Miley Cyrus. We all love "The Climb". Even the Boy...he even downloaded it on his Ipod...but don't tell anybody.

Generally, Little One listens to Miley and Taylor...and the Boy tries to listen to the clean version of the latest crap, I mean rap songs....so I feel it is my duty to educate them a little.

So anyway, the ride to work is lovely. I head to my little office, watch the golfers out my window (great view) and accomplish what needs to be done. And then back home, choosing the radio over CD's this time. Lo and behold, my all time favorite song "You've Got the Music In You" by the New Radicals comes on. I am content. Nothing like hearing your favorite song to make your day...

So until tomorrow, when I'll be at home in jeans and t-shirt....and be forewarned...the new Vogue came today!!!!.....

No comments: