Sunday, May 17, 2009

I like My Money Right Where I Can see it...Hanging In My Closet

Ok, so it wasn't the Saturday night I'd hoped for. The boy was gone for the weekend (making the house extremely quiet and demand-free). The Little One was busy with the BFF who spent the night with us Friday night. Around noon, I threw it out to the husband..."Gee, we should have gotten a babysitter for tonight...we could go do something." To which he nodded and continued to do whatever it was he was doing. Now in the husband's defense, he is at the office everyday and the baseball field most nights, so it isn't surprising that he would want to spend a quiet Saturday at home. As opposed to the wife who does most of her work from home...or chauffeuring in the car...who likes to get out on the weekend and do something different. But hey, I'm pretty flexible, so alternative plans had to be made...

I've seen the Sex and the City movie a minimum of 15 times. Besides the fact that I love the clothes, I like the storyline too, and I always laugh and cry. I consider myself equal parts Charlotte and Carrie. Those who know me understand this comparison. One of my favorite scenes is when all of the girls get together and watch Carrie clean out her closet...they help her decide what stays and what goes. So I decided that if I had to be in on a Saturday night, it was the perfect time to switch the winter wardrobe closet to summer. And this was the perfect movie to watch while doing it. Now my wardrobe does not compare to Carrie's in any way, and I had no friends around to cheer me on, but this is an exercise that I generally enjoy. By May, I am generally tired of the winter stuff and ready to see something different. So I move all the winter stuff to the upstairs guest room closet...and bring all the summer stuff down. This also substitutes for my exercise for the day because we have 18 stairs between floors, thus making the several trips up and down good aerobically.

After all of the clothes are switched, I then do the shoes. This is a tedious process because I have many pairs of boots which must be boxed and stored. But the upside is that I get to bring down all of the gorgeous, albeit way-to-high sandals. This is the time of year where my height goes from about 5'9 and 1/2 to 6'2". I don't know what posseses me to buy 4 inch heels...it has already been established that these do not really suit my lifestyle anymore. I certainly do not need them to sit at the computer and write. They make vacuuming and dusting a little more difficult. And I can't wear them while throwing the softball with Little One or playing basketball with The Boy. But on the few days that I go into the office for work...or out to dinner with the husband...or anywhere that flip flops and Nikes aren't called for....I Love them.

The most exciting part of the whole process is discovering items you forgot you had. This time, I found the sky blue Ralph Lauren bikini that I thought I had lost. This is one of those beloved suits that I have had for years, but cannot part with. And then there are the beautiful red and white kitten heels that the husband gave me for Christmas. I keep my shoes in boxes with the picture of the shoe on the front...but I hadn't put the picture on these yet...so when I opened them up, I was filled with joy all over again, remembering how much I loved them.

The husband was impressed with the outcome, dropping hints that I do his side too. (It is worth noting that his side is actually bigger than mine....and not entirely because my side is well edited)I will probably break down and do it, although I really feel that it is a very personal chore...

After I finished, I stuck in "Something's Gotta Give" because I love the beach house in that movie. It is the perfect blend of modern and cozy...plus the paintings are terrific. I always promise myself I am going to "copy" them the next time I pull out my paint brushes.

So another weekend gone...the Boy arrived home in all his tired, glad-to-be-home, "church retreat is kind of boring " glory. He actually brought the Little One a present. He may be the sweetest kid ever...but of course this is his mom talking...

So until tomorrow, with an organized closet and the prodigal son returned..the week is off to a good start...

No comments: