Friday, May 22, 2009

Random Recap

Thank goodness it is the weekend....and a 3 day one at that! Looking forward to relaxing a little before the last week of school. Next week includes 2 field trips, a writer's forum (hosted by yours truly) and field day. Thankfully, the big tests and papers are now completed and turned in.

Last night was the Little League Championship. It was an exciting game that literally went down to the final pitch. Our team was up by one run in the final inning. There were 2 outs, 2 strikes...and the bases loaded. Our pitcher throws it, the guy hits it to center field...and our poor little center fielder misjudges it...and misses it....2 runs score and we lose. Last night it seemed tragic, but this morning, as a friend reminded me, the important thing is that it was a great season and great fun. I am also reminded that occasionally mom needs to keep some perspective about what is important....and what is really not.

The Boy woke up a little sad about the loss, but mostly concerned about his starring role today in "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream" in his drama class. Seems he needed sandals and a white shirt and he had forgotten about it. Thankfully, dad had both, so he was good to go. He fooled me by telling me that he has to "give his wife a kiss"...and then rolled on the ground laughing when I believed him. I cannot wait to see him in his starring role...

Little One continues to be obsessed with car duty in the mornings. We are forced to leave 15 minutes early each morning so she can open car doors. This privilege is given on a first-come first-serve basis...thus the early arrival time. Evidently, this is a major competition in the third grade. When we are below 5th in line...she goes ballistic. Again...one week left!

Ok, on a totally different subject...Our President is changing the art on the White House walls. This morning's Wall Street Journal shows some of the paintings he has chosen. I think this is great. While I wish he were more traditional in other ways, I totally support his more modern approach to art. The abstract entitled "Berkeley 52", on loan from the National Gallery, is just lovely. In fact, whenever I start painting again (how many times am I going to talk about this before I do it?), this may be the first "copy" I attempt. He also picked some pieces by Jasper Johns, who in my opinion is a very contemporary, yet very American choice. I heard some people discussing the fact that maybe he shouldn't be changing things up...but in the words of historian Steve Stuart..."You shouldn't have to look at Mrs. Hoover's face over your bed for four years if you don't want to.".....I agree....art work inspires you, and if anyone needs inspiration, it is our President.

That's it for today...there are articles to finish, groceries to buy, and unfortunately, a house to clean....So

Until next week, when the count-down to summer vacation begins...

No comments: