Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I Give Up

Today is the first day Lent. This is always an interesting time in our household as we all decide what to give up. Our minister suggested that this year, with all of the negativity going on, that perhaps we try and "take something on" instead of giving something up. I love that idea and plan to try and do that, but I also think that self-sacrifice is important, so I still wanted to give something up.

When I discussed it with my kids, they pleaded with me not to give up coffee or diet cokes. "You did that last year and you were too grumpy!" After further discussion, we agreed that I would give up all desserts, excluding yogurt and fruit. (It's pretty bad when you start making exceptions before the 40 days even begin.)

Gabrielle decided to give up chocolate. I congratulated her on making such a sacrifice, but I noticed she had a very worried look on her face. I asked her what was wrong. "Well, what about Easter? I won't be able to eat my chocolate bunny." I explained to her that Lent actually ended the Saturday before Easter. That seemed to appease her for a minute, but then she hesitated.
I asked again what was wrong. "Well, what about the Easter party at school?" That was a tough one. I figured that if I can have yogurt and fruit, she can take a day off for the Easter party.

Matt was pretty quiet during the whole conversation. I asked what he was thinking about giving up. "Well, not any food." Of course not. We're talking about sacrifice, not torture. Then he thought about it and said, "Ok. I think I will give up time on the Wii and practice shooting hoops instead." ????????? I wasn't sure how to address that . Obviously there are some gaps in his grasp of the whole subject. I patiently explained that it was meant to be a time of prayer and sacrifice, not an effort to improve sports skills. Matt is going through confirmation class at our church right now, and so he will be participating in the Ash Wednesday service tonight. After this conversation, I am hoping that he is not called on to answer any questions.

I asked Tony this morning if he was giving up anything for Lent. "Well of course," he replied. "After a lot of thought, I have decided to give up going to romantic movies with you. I will use this time to reflect and meditate." I replied that if that was the case, I would be giving up a few night time activities that might affect him negatively..." and before you know it, he retracted his response and decided to give it some more thought.

In all seriousness, this is one of my favorite times of year. It feels like a time of renewal. When I make the decision to give something up, no matter how silly or inconsequential it may be, I'm consciously reminded each day of the great sacrifice that Christ made for me. It is humbling and comforting at the same time. And for those whose religious beliefs don't include Lent or Easter, I think that it is still a time of year for renewal and hope.

And so begins my 40 days without desserts. If my blogs take on a desperate tone, you'll know why.

And just a warning....I caught part of the President's speech on tv last night, so tomorrow's subject will be political. But for those of you who do not care about this, there will also be fashion comment on Michelle's dress....

No comments: