Thursday, February 26, 2009

Politically Correct

I probably should begin this with a frame of reference. I campaigned and voted for John McCain. Though I did not find him to be the "perfect" candidate, I did admire his personal history and his ability to see more than a one-party approach to most issues. I was also leery of the "facade" of Barrack Obama. I found him to be articulate and cunning, but severely lacking in experience and in the ability to have a true grasp on many issues. He talked around things, but not about them, and when called on for specifics, he often misspoke or erred altogether.


Fast-forward to Inauguration Day. I had decided to try and put aside all of my disappointment and skepticism and "get behind" my new President. I was encouraged by the fact that so many Americans were inspired by him. But I was immediately put off by his subtle "jabs" at the outgoing president who sat behind him, and who had treated Obama in such a gracious and respectful manner. Over the past 8 years, I certainly had my share of disappointment with many of the Bush policies, but what stayed with me was the fact that this man had managed to keep our country safe after 9/11, when even the most liberal-leaning folks were sure we would be attacked again.


As I watched President Obama's speech the other night, the first thing that hit me was the that I was going to have to watch Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden sit behind him whenever he gives a speech to the country over the next 4 years. This will probably limit the amount of time I watch ,as I cannot take their arrogance or hypocrisy. Joe Biden's life story is compelling and stirring, but he has morphed into a cartoon character, a "gaffer" who lies when he doesn't know the answer, but refuses to acknowledge it . Even the President seems embarrassed by him. Nancy Pelosi is the most divisive politician to come about in years. Mention her name in a room full of republicans and you better cover your ears because the language is going to deteriorate quickly. One of my favorite moments of the last month was when she flew on her private jet (all the time declaiming the waste of corporate big-whigs) to see the Pope, only to be chastised by him for her stand on abortion. Yes, it was Pelosi who tried to tell us that the Catholic church hadn't made it's mind up on abortion. I guess the Pope didn't see it that way.


President Obama talked to us about fiscal responsibility, but he had just signed into law a 750 billion dollar stimulus package, the largest in our country's history, which pushes our deficit into the trillions. He spoke to us about maintaining a strong national security, but he had just announced weeks ago that he would close Guantanemo Bay, where we house known terrorists, without having a plan as to where those prisoners would go. The day he announced this, it was also made public that 16 of the prisoners that had been released from Guantanemo had resumed terrorist activities, many having resulted in the deaths of others.

He spoke to us about avoiding bi-partisanship, but he signed a bill without one republican vote. He spoke to us about using every tool possible to boost the economy, but refused to consider lowering the capital gains or payroll tax. He promised the end of earmarks, but praised a bill that included over 10 billion dollars worth of them. He promised no lobbyists in his administration, but yet he has already made almost 20 exceptions to that rule. He promised high ideals in his appointees, but then looked the other way when some had tax issues.


Despite all of this, I haven't given up hope. My husband calls me a "closet liberal", but I think this means that I am at least willing to listen to the "other side" before I make up my mind. My heart can listen to an argument for nationalized health care, but my head eventually kicks in and tells me it won't work. My heart supports gay rights, but my head says that marriage needs to remain between a man and a woman. (and our new President is in agreement, regardless of how he tries to present himself.) My heart dislikes the word "torture", but my head tells me that the definition becomes fuzzy when you are dealing with people who are trying to kill thousands of Americans.


In today's Wall Street Journal, Karl Rove's opinion piece spells out more articulately than I can why Barrack Obama is so troubling at this point. The general idea is that he "characterizes those who disagree with him in a fundamentally dishonest way" because he "lacks confidence in the merits of his own ideas." This is my greatest fear, that he has campaigned and been elected on this "facade" of elegance and intelligence, but if you scratch the surface, there's not much there.


We were "enlightened" by Sean Penn at the Oscars the other night, who said that he was proud that America had elected such an "elegant" man. What? Is there anyone out there that actually votes based on "elegance"? I'm not giving up yet. It's only been a couple of months, and I always have faith in the goodness of man. There are areas where Obama has demonstrated patience and the ability to compromise.


Now, as promised, on a lighter and much more meaningful note...I thought Michelle Obama looked wonderful the other night. She continues to strike the right note with her clothes, in my opinion. Except for the gown she wore for the Inauguration, which I thought was beautiful but just not on her, she has not only looked the part, but done it with style. As Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue wrote, "she accepts the iconicity that has been thrust on her and has thought carefully about how to use it responsibly and productively." In other words, she does a great job of mixing J. Crew and Narcisco Rodriguez. She represents a very modern way of dressing. Hats off to her.


I hope this "rant" wasn't too serious....In real life, I am normally not pre-disposed to discussing religion and politics, but as my husband points out, I am much braver on paper.

So tomorrow, back to everyday life...

No comments: