Thursday, February 19, 2009

Excuse Me, But I'm Blocked

Did you ever see the episode of "Sex and the City" where Carrie has to write about organizing her sock drawer because she has writer's block? Well, today, this is my equivalent of the sock drawer story because I have "Blog Block". Writing a daily blog is suppose to be an exercise, kind of like writer's aerobics, to keep the creative juices in shape. Well, today, we are doing the yoga blog. Still making an effort, but just not able to go for the burn.

A friend and I were talking about the upcoming Oscars over dinner the other night, and we began to trade our favorite movie quotes. He was quoting "The Godfather" and "Bull Durham". I was quoting "The Way We Were" and "Love Story". Typical man/woman differences. However we did accrue a few similar quotes that seem to cross gender lines as far as relevance. The following are MY all time favorite movie quotes with a few lesser ones sprinkled in for the guys.

1) Ok, we'll start with a crossover to please everyone. Field of Dreams. When Ray asks his dad, "Hey dad...you wanna have a catch?" at the very end of the movie. I don't know anyone with a father, brother or husband who has played ball that doesn't tear up at that one. Even the toughest of guys has been known to leave the room after that scene.

2) Still "Field of Dreams". Moonlight Graham says "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well there'll be other days. I didn't realize that was the only day." Needs no explanation.

3) "The Way We Were". Katie says to Hubbell when she sees him in the street at the end: "Your girl is lovely, Hubbell."
Every woman I know sobs at this moment.

4)Still "The Way We Were". Exchange between Hubbell and Katie at the end:
Hubbell: You never give up, do you?
Katie: Only when I'm absolutely forced to. But I'm a very good loser.
Hubbell: Better than I am.
Katie: Well, I've had...more practice.
Such a poignant moment. I can feel her pain every time.

5) Something's Gotta Give. Harry tells Erica "I've never lied to you, I have always told you some version of the truth." Classic male line.

6) Harry again to Erica "Erica, you are a woman to love." The look on Diane Keaton's face while she is trying to figure out the nuance of what he is saying is priceless.

7) One more time. Harry to Erica when he tells her he owns a rap music company and she laughs: Harry: Some people consider rap poetry.
Erica: C'mon, how many words can you rhyme with bitch.?
Makes me laugh out loud every time.

8)You've Got Mail. Joe Fox writes to Kathleen Kelly: "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."
Stunning imagery. Makes me happy ever time I hear it.

9) You've Got Mail. Kathleen to Joe discussing the internet: "The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings."
Just so sweet...

10) The Holiday. Miles to Iris when he tells her he wrote a melody for her: "I used only the good notes".
Maybe it's because I write music, or maybe it's because of thelook on Kate Winslet's face, but this may be my favorite.

11)Notting Hill. Hard to choose one line because I laugh the whole way though.
Honey to Anna Scott: "Oh, God. This is one of those key moments in life, when it is possible to be really genuinely cool---and I'm failing 100%".
I love it because I have lived it so many times.

12) One more Notting Hill. Spike to William: "I knew a girl at school called Pandora. Never got to see her box , though."
So obvious, but still a laugh out loud moment.

13) Notting Hill...last one....with apologies to the men....Anna and William..
Anna "Can I stay awhile?"
William: "You can stay forever." .....
Sorry guys, but just too sweet for words...

14) Two Weeks Notice. George: "I'm now poor. When I say poor, I mean we may have to share a helicopter with another family'.
Hugh Grant could read the phone book and make me laugh.

Ok, enough for now.I will accumulate a running list and trot them out whenvever Iam having a "sock drawer" day...

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I love these! My favorite is from Love Actually when the stepdad and little boy are talking about how the little boy is in love...so cute:)

Daniel: Aha, good, good. And what does she - he - feel about you?
Sam: *She* doesn't even know my name. And even if she did, she'd despise me. She's the coolest girl in school and everyone worships her because she's heaven