Monday, February 23, 2009

Ok, I'll Admit It, I Watched

After reviewing the subjects of my blogs last week, I promised myself that this week's subjects would be a bit more serious. I could always discuss the Federal Stimulus Bill or the Bank Bailouts. I could talk about A-Rod and steroids. Unfortunately, for anyone looking for a more intellectual tone, today is not the day to read...because I watched the Oscars last night.


I would love to be one of those people who, when you ask "Did you see Angelina's dress last night?", feign ignorance and claim that they had watched the National Geographic special on Discovery Channel. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't somewhat plan my evening around watching. I'll even go so far to admit that I watched the pre-show Red Carpet special where Ryan Seacrest asks the attendees inane questions that make me embarrassed to watch, so I have to turn off the sound. But you know, I am a girl, and I like pretty dresses, so there you go. The following is my take on the evening:


First off, I think Hugh Jackman did a nice job. He was very gracious and likeable, and the opening number was kind of cute. He's not Billy Crystal, and I miss his kind of humor where he makes fun of everything and everyone, but all in all, he was good.

Secondly, and probably most important...the dresses. Here are the categories and winners:

1) Best dressed: Hands down Natalie Portman. The beautiful lilac-pink strapless looked amazing and her hair and makeup were simple and lovely. Just beautiful.

2)Sexiest: Now I'm not a man, so I don't know if my definition of sexy crosses gender lines, but my vote goes to Jessica Biel. I think because she usually looks very athletic and almost tomboyish in pictures, the feminine white dress and the flowy hair were just really attractive.

3) Most disappointing: A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this one, but I wasn't crazy about Kate Winslet's dress or hair. The dress did not compliment her shape at all, and the color was a a little drab. Her hair was too retro, which I though made her look older. (I love her though...more later on that)

4) Most misguided: Remember that year when Bjork wore the bird dress? Well I don't think we saw anything like that this year. In fact, I was a little disappointed that nobody really went out on a limb. But I really didn't like Beyonce's gown. Besides being overdone, she looked like she was going flamingo dancing later on.

5) Best-Dressed Couple: I'd love to be original and say somebody else, but you know, Brad and Angelina, blah, blah, blah. I hate his mustache and I'm tired of seeing her in black, but they looked really good.

6) Best jewelry: Angelina's stunning emerald earrings and ring made her outfit...that along with the fact that she is just drop dead gorgeous.

7) Most age appropriate: Ok, Sophia Loren is a legendary beauty, and for someone in her seventies, she looked terrific. But I would have liked to seen less flounce on the dress and less makeup. The last time she was at the Oscars, she wore a very understated black dress and her hair in a simple bun, and she was just so beautiful. This time it was a little overdone. But hey, she's in her seventies...I should just be so impressed.
Meryl Streep looked spectacular. I mean, the dress was appropriate, sexy, pretty...and her hair and make up were perfect. I guess after 15 nominations, she knows how to do it.

8) Honorable Mentions: Diane Lane, always elegant and beautiful. Nicole Kidman, another Hall of Fame dresser. Halle Berry, the dress and hair were so lovely...she seems to be aging backwards. Sarah Jessica Parker, she gets a mention because even if I wasn't crazy about the dress, she just carries it off so well.

9) Big thank you to: Miley Cyrus for wearing something so pretty and age-appropriate for all of her young fans.

Other highlights:

I love it when no-name people win and they run up all breathless and excited and they thank everyone they've ever met. It's so sincere.

I'm glad Kate Winslet won. I didn't see either of her movies this year, so my opinions have absolutely no credence, but I like her personality. I loved her in "The Holiday" and I liked her little story about practicing her acceptance speech with a shampoo bottle when she was eight. She is the definition of charming.

I was a little disappointed that Mickey Rourke didn't win. Again, I didn't see The Wrestler or Milk, so I don't know who was the better actor, but I am always for the underdog, and he just seemed so needy.

My favorite line of the evening was when Steve Martin said to Tina Fey (she was staring at him while he was reading the nominees) , "Do Not Fall in Love with Me." Made me laugh out loud.

I liked how they brought the previous male and female winners back to announce the nominees and winners. I thought that was a very creative way to introduce them.

And one more thing. I thought Queen Latifa did a beautiful job of singing "I'll be Seeing You" while they ran the list of people that had passed away this year. But I had a really hard time following the list because they kept shooting it from different angles. I like it better when they just shoot it straight on. I think it diminished what is usually one of the more poignant moments of the evening.

All in all, I thought it was pretty entertaining, especially considering the fact that I hadn't seen any of the nominated movies. I probably see 10 movies a year at the theater. I don't know if it says more about ME or the Oscars that I hadn't seen any of the movies. Does it matter that 1/3 of the movies I see are what my kids choose? Does it matter that another 1/3 are my husband's picks? That still leaves 1/3 right?...I choose not to believe that it is a statement on my lack of sophistication.

That's it for now. I wanted to talk about the Movie Soundtrack category...but I think I will save that for part 2.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can see it now...You will be in the third chair on E's Fashion Police with Jay Manuel and Debbie Matenopoulos! Great job!
Sincerely,
Your loyal blog follower
Love you!
p.s. Amy Adams wore my favorite jewelry