Monday, February 16, 2009

Short and Sweet

All weekend I was mentally constructing an article in my mind about Valentine's Day. It has always been one of my favorite "holidays". I know it is overdone and over-commercialized, but any day where the words "I love you" or "I like you" or even, "I think you are cute" are thrown around, I'm good to go.
I heard great stories all weekend long about Valentine's gifts. From flowers left on doorsteps, to flowers sent to work when the person was out of town (uh-oh), to garlic presses to vacuum cleaners. The vacuum cleaner was actually the best story. I would love to go into detail, but that would spoil the absolute heartfelt and hilarious sentiment behind it!
Anyway, I had to forgo the mentally written article in my mind due to my husband's gift. Over the years, whenever I write anything, it ususally includes something humorous about Tony. In fact, he claims that he is my "fodder" for everything I write. Now whether or not I agree with him , I know I can't do it today.
Tony is the king of all gift -givers. From my first gift on Valentine's Day many years ago before we were officially dating (a stuffed animal placed in my car while I was at work) to carefully-planned trips to Paris for our anniversary, he has always been amazing in this respect.
This year was no different. The last few years, Valentine's Day has usually included a mug (refer to previous blog) with some kind of relavent comment or card. Saturday morning he walked over and gave me a folder. Now I'll preface this with saying that the last time he did this, it was the "trip to Paris" gift, so my heart kind of jumped. He grinned and said, "Don't be disapponted...no trip involved." Ok, no problem. Inside the folder was a pristine sheet of new collectable Audrey Hepburn stamps. The thing about this gift is that very few people know that I have a penchant for all things Audrey Hepburn. I mean, unless you paid really close attention to my life, you wouldn't even know it. But for Christmas, Tony gave me a new biography about her, and now, these stamps.
We women are always saying "It's the thought that counts. I just wanted him to put some thought into it!" and the thing is...he always does.
So today, no humor, no fodder. Just thanks.