Friday, February 13, 2009

Morning Mug

I have a cabinet in my kitchen that is reserved for mugs. Everyone who is in my kitchen for any amount of time knows about it. Each morning, the first thing I do when I walk in my kitchen at 6:28 is open my mug cabinet and choose a mug. It's kind of like choosing an outfit for the day. I'm not sure what it means psychologically, but I do know that before I choose one, I kind of gauge my mood for the day.
I would say I have accumulated approximately 40 mugs. Every few years, I weed out the ones that have no particular meaning to me. These would include the generic mugs that might come in a random gift basket or something.
Most of the mugs I have invoke a special memory or emotion. First, there are the mugs with my children's artwork in them. When I was little, we just brought home a picture that we had colored from school. Now, the kids bring home artwork that can be purchased. You can choose, or let me re-phrase that, you Have to choose from mugs, totes, picture frames...all sorts of little kitchy stuff. (If you don't purchase anything, you are forever known as the mother who didn't care enough to buy her child's artwork) I always choose the mug, so to begin with, I have 2 lovely mugs with Matt and Ellie's artwork. I also have the lovely mug that my daughter, Kelly, made for me at the pottery-themed birthday party she attended in middle school. This is actually one of my favorites. It is a soft purple color with a green trim, and I can still remember the sweet look on Kel's face when she gave it ot me. I reach for it many mornings, unless I feel I am going to need a lot of coffee. It isn't microwaveable (I found this out by burnng my hand), so there are some days that it just won't work.
Next, there are the ones that my husband gives me on special days. He has traditionally given me one on New Years, so I have a few that are dated, with ballons and stuff, and then there are also some that he obviously chose because he thought I would like the color. Then there are the Valentine's Day mugs that say "Kiss me" and other cute little sayings. These are classified as "emotional" mugs. If Tony and I are fighting, these get shoved to the back of the cabinet.
Next are the random mugs that I have picked up on my own. These are likely to be ones with cute little sayings like "I'd rather be in Paris". They make me smile or laugh, and I usually go for those when I need to be cheered up.
Lastly, there are the ones that are sentimental. When my mother-in-law passed away, I ended up with a set of her coffee mugs. They are yellow with polka dots, and I find that I reach for those a lot lately. They remind me of Rose and they make me feel good. She used to open the mug cabinet and ask "Do you mind if Iuse this one?" That always made me laugh. As if I would only allow her to use certain ones. Then she would pause and take her time choosing one. I loved that.
Funny the way little things can make or break your day.
I love my mugs.

No comments: