Tuesday, February 24, 2009

They're Playing my Song

It was pointed out to me several times yesterday that my blog on the Oscars did not even mention the winning picture, Slumdog Millionaire. I apologize for the omission, my only excuse being that 1) I didn't see the picture 2) I was more focused on the dresses 3) I barely made it to that particular announcement 4) I knew I was going to mention it in today's Part 2.


I was also barraged with complaints (ok, barrage may be strongly worded...actually 2 complaints) from my male readers who feel that my movie quotes were heavily weighted towards the chick-flick. After reminding them that this blog reflects MY opinion, I did vow to try and find more of a balance. (Anyone reading should feel free to send me any examples of movie quotes that might appeal to guys....you know "Go to the mattresses" and junk, I mean, terrific quotes like that.)


Now on with today's subject. After the dresses, my favorite part of the Oscars are the music categories. I love to see which original scores are nominated, because as someone who enjoys writing music, I am incredibly in awe of people who are able to do this. I also like the "best song" category because a large part of my CD (I almost slipped and said album) collection are movie soundtracks. ( I remember shopping in a music store years ago with a friend of mine. When we got to the counter to pay for our choices, he had Kiss and ACDC. I had the sountrack to Tootise. "You are the weirdest girl I have ever met," he said.)

Anyway, this year the best song nominees were "Jai Ho" and "O Saya" from Slumdog, and "Down to Earth" from Wall-E. I hadn't heard of any of these. I read that Peter Gabriel, who wrote Down to Earth, refused to perform because they wanted him to "edit" it due to time constraints. The 2 from Slumdog just did not resonate with me because, and this is just ME, they sounded like songs you would listen to in Social Studies to help you get the flavor of India.

I think that the test of a good movie soundtrack is if you immediately recall the movie when you hear the song or music. For example:

1) The theme from "Rocky". I'm not sure that movie would be as inspiring without the rousing music that accompanies his boxing matches and culminates in him running up those stairs in Philly.
2) The music to the "Godfather" is haunting. People who have never even seen the movie recognize the music.
3)" The Sound of Music". Enough said.
4) Can anyone listen to the "Saturday Night Fever" music without picturing John Travolta in that white tux?
5)The piano interlude to the "The Sting" was on everyone's piano for years. If you took piano lessons, you had to learn that one.
6) The subject matter of "Grease" is a little mature, but the music makes it beloved to kids of all ages. If you are a girl, you have sung "Hopelessly Devoted to You" into your hairbrush in your bedroom.
7) Henry Mancini's "Pink Panther" is another one that is instantly recognizable.
8) It may not be the most recognizable, but I believe the soundtrack to "The Mission" by Ennio Morricone is the most beautiful music I have ever heard.
9) Anything by Angelo Badalamenti ( soundtracks from "Cousins", "Blue Velvet" and many more) because he is my husband's second cousin.

Isn't it funny how often the music we listen to can shape our moods or even change our mood? Every morning before I write, I listen to Sarah Brightman sing 'Nessun Dorma' from Turandot. I am not a big opera fan or anything, but the music is just so beautiful and inspiring that it never fails to put me in the right frame of mind.

Even my children are affected by music. My 11 year old son's music generally runs towards rap, but in the midst of a huge crush at the moment, I see a a lot of Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift on his Ipod. My 9 year old daughter has a fairly sophisticated music palette. She listens to 'Adele' sing "Chasing Pavements" until her brother begs for mercy. (And then she asks me "Mom, what the heck is "chasing pavements"?."

On the way to church every Sunday morning (ok, not every Sunday morning), my husband puts on Dave FM . The only way I know how to describe the music is to call it "Music to Commit Suicide By". The absolute most depressing stuff you've ever heard. The first few times we listened to this, I didn't say anything because I am always very thankful that he is going to church, and I felt this was a small price to pay. A few weeks later, I decided to ask "can we maybe listen to anything a little more upbeat?" ......"No" he answered. Ok. I don't want to speculate on the reason for it, but ...is he depressed we are going to church? is he trying to irritate me?.....does he actually LIKE it? I still don't know the answer, but at least now when he puts it on, he looks over and grins at me.

My older daughters used to accuse me of not liking music because sometimes when they would be blaring their music in the car, I would make them turn it off. After having 4 kids, sometimes the most beautiful music in the world is...silence.

The current soundtrack to my life is Viva La Vida" by Coldplay. I listen to it way too often and I don't understand any of the lyrics, but it makes me feel good. And in the end, I think that's what is important about music. If you can't say it, do it, feel it, or express it...at least you can listen to it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Add Star Wars, Edward Scissorhands, Family Stone, Twilight, and The Holiday:). Loved this blog!