Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On Missing the Dumb Cat...

It's been a few months since we lost the Dog. I still choke up occasionally...her water bowl, her leash....her old bed still sits at grandma's house. A good friend gave me a poignant book to read on life with our animals...but every time I pick it up, I cry and put it back down. But this is normal, I suppose. After 16 years, I took her lovely presence for granted...

But the darn cats are another story. I was never been a cat person, but I have become weirdly attached to the little one since the Dog left us. I pretend like I don't see her slip inside in the morning. She parks herself in the same chair and watches me paint for hours...and I'll admit it...I like it. I find myself talking to her, asking her opinion...very unlike me. I am even able to put up with the Boy's cat now. This cat has always been my mortal enemy...since the day he shoved his mamma over the deck railing to eat her food, I have disliked him. Every morning when I go out to feed him, he tries to push me out of the way...some how not grasping that I am there to feed him. It annoys me so much that I lecture him. But lately...I find myself cutting him some slack. He may not be very smart, but he is occasionally sweet...The Husband has assigned voices to each of the cats...and his voice is that of a 12 year old boy. And you just can't stay mad at a 12 year old boy for long...

So this morning...Mr. Boy Cat is AWOL. He didn't come home last night...and he didn't come back for breakfast. And this really bothers me. I have driven around looking in all of his secret places...but no luck. This guy does not like to miss a meal....so I am worried. I pretend to paint, but I keep checking the window......This is the reason for NOT having pets....I have filled the bird feeders with bird seed...The sight of all those birds will surely lure him back....

Until tomorrow...

No comments: