Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On Getting a French Little One....

Well, I've been off for a few days. Just too much going on to write it down. The latest news in our household is that we are going to have another Little One soon....no, not a baby...a Little French One. The local Montessori school was looking for families to host some french children in May for a few weeks, and I volunteered. I might have done this before discussing it with The Husband, so many thanks to him for having such a good reaction.

Little One is so excited about the prospect of this "french sister". She has been working on a packet called "All About Me" to send to our prospective child. This will tell her all about Little One. It tickles me to see Little One construct a certain picture of herself. She is very good at self-editing. Only certain pictures will do. They all must be flattering and lovely. Detailed descriptions of the cats must be concluded, after all, this will be VERY important to our visitor. Her self-drawn picture of our town includes our house, UGA (university) and her school. She feels no need to discuss mom or dad or brother...these are minor details...

We received an e-mail this morning from the child's mom. I loved her immediately. She is a blogging-horto-culturist who comments on how floral design affects fashion...I believe we were separated at birth. The Little One's name is Leila....My Little One thinks that name is just so beautiful, though not "overly french"?? The french Little One mainly speaks french, which is no problem for me...but my Little One is a bit worried about this. I explained that she is bi-lingual, which means it will all be fine,

So begins a few months of letters and e-mails and skyping between the 2 Little Ones. This should be fun. I love new experiences. When I was in high school, I desperately wanted to do the french exchange program, but my over-protective parents would not dream of it. Well, this is my chance to re-live that. Though I have travelled through France many times, this will be new and different. Even The Boy is semi-interested. At first he said "That's all I need"....as if he would be personally responsible for everything...but then, he calmed down and asked the important questions, like "What does she like to eat?"...

So today, as we begin the preparations for her visit in a few months, Little One and I are filled with excitement,,,

Until tomorrow...The Boy's school conference is today, and I sense "issues".....

No comments: