Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"If There Ever Comes A Day When We Can't Be Together,Keep Me in your Heart. I'll Stay There Forever.' Winnie the Pooh

Little One was home from school yesterday. I went up to wake her up for school, and she began to cry. I hesitated....then I heard her stomach making funny noises. Could be hunger...but I couldn't take the chance. A memory popped into my head of a young 4th grader (me) who got sick at school one day. My mom determined it was nerves...so she brought me home, cleaned me up....and sent me back. To this day, I can remember putting on my yellow jumper, which by the way I hated, and crying at the thought of my impending humiliation. I do remember apologizing to the boy who sat in back of me. This particular boy was a good friend. He had nicknamed me "Ork" ....this was the sound he envisioned the bird who I was named for making....I can still remember his sweet words of reassurance: "It's ok Ork. Just don't do it again." .....You'll understand why he remained a good friend all through high school...But I digress....



I tucked Little One back in and let her sleep. After dropping The Boy at school, I came home and worked on a painting for a few hours. Little One eventually appeared on the stairs with a small grin on her face. "I'm really hungry. Can I have the left-over cheeseburger?".....Ok, so those stomach sounds were probably hunger. At least she'd have a day to rest. Little One is easy to have around on these days. She is content to watch game shows and entertain herself while I do my thing. Around noon, I suggested a trip to the bookstore. You'd have thought I said we were going to Disney World. She ran upstairs and put on her "outfit"....leggings with shorts over them, tank top with a shirt over it...and cowboy boots. (no yellow jumpers for Little One). We made our way to the bookstore where she picked out several good books. Later, as we headed to pick up The Boy and grab her homework, she leaned up and gave me a kiss...."I love you. I like being home with you." A sob caught in my throat. Little One doesn't like any show of emotion...so it was not a good idea to burst into tears at his moment. 'Ditto' I replied.



Last night as I tucked her in, I teased her. "I don't care how much your stomach is growling in the morning...you have to got to school." She grinned and said "Darn it! I was hoping for another day." This morning, there were no tears. She hopped out of bed, dressed, ate 2 waffles, and styled the hair into her newest "do". As I grabbed my keys to leave, she ran over and gave me a hug. "I'll miss you today". This time, I couldn't stop the tears. And she didn't even fuss at me....



So this morning, as I sit here on this rainy day preparing to paint, I miss my Little One.....



Until tomorrow...

No comments: