Thursday, February 4, 2010

Finishing the Fashion List

It was lovingly pointed out to me by The Niece this morning that I never finished the fashion blog. I am so off my game this week. Too many distractions. But without further ado...here we go. I believe we left off at item 6....

6) Gold metallic Sperrys....Ok, back in 'the day', these were called 'Boat shoes'. They have come in and out of style so many times I cannot count. I have never owned a pair. As I have said before, the only flats I ever wear are boots.....however.....I LOVE these. I think it is the metallic that makes them so cute. I would wear them with skirts and shorts. But I am torn between these and the suede McAlister boots. These look like old-fashioned hush puppies, but a bit more cool. I'm going to need The Niece's opinion on this, since price will prevent me from buying both.

7) The Minnie Pant....I love these pants! The ankle length is so flattering (they are called the 'magic pants" in the catalogue because they look good on everyone. They have a real french look...I would wear them with my ankle boots because that is the look I like, but I can see them with flats too. If The Husband didn't read the blog, I'd tell you that I already purchased these....and the following......

8) Ruffled Vest.....Ok, as you get older, you definitely have to balance out 'cool' with 'appropriate'. I am constantly editing my wardrobe to be sure that I don't look like I'm trying to dress like Big Sis or The Senior. But having said that, occasionally I just have to go for it.....the "Minnie pants" with the darling Ruffle Vest seem to satisfy my "chic" craving without going overboard. The vest can be belted or not, and once again, I would wear it with almost anything....

9) Vintage Denim jacket......I was not allowed to have a denim jacket in middle school or high school. My mom thought that only "hoods" wore these. (I do not know what the current equivalent for "hood" is....all I can say is that the kids that wore jean jackets back then all smoked and skipped class....and none of them were forced to wear pigtails by their mom...) Anyway, once I was buying my own clothes, these became a staple for me. I even bought one with a beautiful pastel bird on the back during college....what the heck was I thinking? Now, I like the ones that look kind of worn and cozy. I wear them with everything...skirts, dresses, you name it....It kind of gives a yin and yang look. The newest ones are cropped, and they are cute. But I think you have to be careful with proportion.....I think the normal length is more versatile...

10) Crystal necklace.......I love to look at these in the magazines. When I use to merchandise, these were the pieces that would really make an outfit pop. But to be honest, for me, they do not translate well into reality. I have to wear jewelry that is comfortable. I cannot wear anything that is heavy or too bold. Of course, this is totally a personal thing. Some people carry these off so well...and this necklace is the perfect show piece if you are that person....

Ok, that's it for today. I'm going to stick with the fashion theme tomorrow. The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article this morning on which "stars" sell fashion the best....I'll have to give my 2 cents on this...

Until tomorrow...

No comments: