Monday, March 2, 2009

Random Musings on the Weekend

This morning I was meant to be discussing the deep and significant discussions that took place in the hair salon last week. This will have to wait until tomorrow (sorry, I can just hear the sighs of disappointment) because we had 6 inches of snow yesterday and the kids and hubby are home this morning making it nearly impossible to focus.

We were forecasted to have a little snow yesterday, but in Georgia, one doesn't really take this seriously. Of course the really funny thing is here that as soon as the weather man even mentions the word "snow", the grocery stores are bombarded with hoards of people stocking up on bread and milk. Since I spent many of my early years in Indiana, this whole "stock up" theory strikes me as really funny. Now I understand that they are not equipped here to deal with snow, and so even an inch or two creates a bit of danger and throws a wrench in all facets of daily life, but I've always wondered...why milk and bread". Is there some meal I don't know of that consists of just milk and bread? Or do people just have toast and milk? I could understand hot chocolate or snack stuff, but no, I guarantee you if I go to the store right now, there will be no milk or bread to be found. Very strange.

The snow is very pretty, but I have to admit that I don't get the warm, fuzzy feeling that most people here (especially my kids) get from seeing snow. As you may have noticed, many things that happen to me bring up vaguely traumatic (that may be too strong of a word) memories from my childhood. Snow is no different. When I lived in Indianapolis, snow was a common occurence. Nothing changed or was cancelled when it snowed, otherwise you'd just sit out winter all together. We lived at the bottom of a very steep hill, so when it snowed, I would literally have to throw my books (and these were the pre-book bag days) across a driveway, then crawl across the ice, pick up all of the books, and trudge to the next driveway. Just the trip up the hill took about 20 minutes, and you can imagine the shape I was in when I actually reached the bus stop. When I tell this story to my kids, they miss the whole point and go off on a tangent of "exactly why didn't you have a book bag?" My husband, being from New Jersey, murmurs words like "lightweight" and "wimp", giving no credence at all to my traumatic story.

The kids had a blast in the snow, but again, the problem here is that since it is a rare occurence, we don't have proper snow attire. In Indiana, you put on your waterproof gear and play out all day. Here, you wear your jeans and tennis shoes until they are soaked (about 30 minutes) and then you go inside and change again. My laundry room is full of sopping wet clothes this morning, which I will dry and re-dry over the course of the day.

On top of that, our power was out for several hours last night, forcing us all to sit around the fireplace and be cozy, singing Cum-bah-yah. Ok, maybe not. Maybe the kids whined about the tv not working and ran around screaming and playing tag until Tony had to yell at them to go to their room. When the power came back on for 2 minutes, I decided to run on the treadmill, not thinking through the fact that it might cut off again, thus throwing me several yards off of the machine. This only exacerbated my earlier sledding injury that I received when Tony assured me that a hill was not too steep and then proceeded to push me down. Not only was the hill too steep, but the asphalt at the bottom was very hard.

But despite these little mishaps, it was still a fun day. The "guilty mother voice", (you know that annoying voice that tells you to let the kids have fun and don't worry about the mound of laundry and wet floors, etc) kicked in early in the day, so I was able to relax and watch the kids have fun.

Just as a side note, early in the day, before the roads were too bad, Tony ran out and brought back burgers and fries. He also slipped me an apple pie, which I love. However, at 12:20 last night, I realized that I had given up sweets for Lent and had broken my vow after only 3 days. When I shared this with Tony, he said "yes, and I now have something to hold over you". I'm not at all sure that this is keeping with the spirit of Lent. And besides that, I refused to be blackmailed, so I am owning up to my minor "slip" right now, so that he cannot "out" me later on it...

Back to the salon tomorrow...

No comments: