Friday, March 27, 2009

I'd Rather Be in Paris...

It's a rainy Friday morning here. It is the kind of morning where extreme discipline must be practiced if you work at home. After the 2 hour process of getting the kids, husband and pets off to school, work and...sleep(pets), it would be easy on a morning like this to simply give in to the urge go back to bed. This is made even more tempting by the fact that I completed an article yesterday that I have been working on for many weeks, so instead of starting on another one, a case could be made for taking the morning off. But I did do that last Friday, so today, I quickly made my bed so that the temptation would be erased. Psychologically, the made-up bed prevents any napping. I could make a case for cleaning, but I won't.

The husband returned last night from a 72 hour whirlwind tour of Europe. I received e-mails from Nova Scotia, Scotland and England. (Well, actually his friends received some of those...always nice to hear that the friends heard from him before I did) It was a business trip, but as in so many of his business trips, I find it difficult to sympathize when he is travelling by private jet, staying at luxury hotels and eating at 4-star restaurants. This time he was even kind enough to e-mail me a picture of his cool hotel in Scotland and tell me how much I would like it. As I ate my grilled cheese sandwich and pleaded with the kids to finish their homework, I enjoyed viewing the luxury suite where he was staying. Years ago, before the kids started school, I use to go with him on many of his trips. These days, with school and sports and all, that is no longer an option. Fortunately, he did do the one thing that makes it all ok. He brought back gifts for me. Not that I ask or expect it, but when he pulled out the Calvin Klein Secret Obsession and the La Prairie eye cream, my heart leaped. In the years when he travelled 250 days a year, he always came back with the best stuff from duty free or the airport gift shops. I have Fendi watches, French perfume, Italian purses, Australian lingerie (that would be Elle MacPherson bras from a New Zealand airport gift shop). But this time, I really didn't expect it, so it was even that much more exciting. The perfume smells so good that I keep forgetting that it is me and wonder what smells so good. The eye cream is my favorite, but the price of it is usually the same as a first class plane ticket, unless you get it in duty free...and even then you have to take a deep breath before you buy it. Anyway, it was good to have him home, safe and sound...and bearing gifts.

My friend is headed to Paris for spring break. Her husband is there on business and she is leaving the kids with family and joining him for the week. I am so jealous that I can hardly stand it. If I didn't like her so much, it would be too hard to listen to her plans, but fortunately, she allows me to advise her and live vicariously through her, which makes it easier. Paris is my favorite place in the whole world. In my fantasy life, I would own a home there in the St. Germaine district. It would be a small apartment above my shop where I would sell a small line of dresses and accessories that were beautifully crafted, yet reasonably priced. I would pick up my morning espresso and croissant every morning from the cafe next door, and I would go to Musee Dorsee every Thursday on my lunch break to stare at the Impressionist paintings. (I have a very rich and rewarding fantasy life). Anyway, back to my friend. She keeps saying that she wishes I would come with her, and if she says it one more time, I am showing up on her doorstep with my bags packed. I figure I can be her interpreter and translator. I wish her a safe and relaxing trip, and I know that every morning when she wakes up and looks outside her hotel window, she will be awestruck by the beauty of a city that truly looks like something out of a storybook.

So on with the day. I will start a new article, be thankful the hubby is home, wish my friend Bon Voyage.

Until next week...when April is here along with my favorite season of the year...

No comments: