Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"I'm Not Home, But My Shoes Are. Leave Them a Message."

Totally a girl thing today. I took the morning off last Friday to go shoe shopping. This requires planning because the nearest mall with my beloved Nordstrom's shoe department is an hour away. There is a mall nearby, but it's the kind of place you only go when you are desperate, and you always come away depressed with your purchase.

If I drop the kids off at school and leave immediately, I can be at Nordstroms by the time they open. This is actually my favorite time to shop because nobody is there. The sales people are busy setting up for the day, so they are available, but they don't bug you. I went with a certain pair of shoes in mind. I tore the picture out of Vogue about a month ago. They were lovely high-heeled sandals. Cole Haan. Grey patent with leather ankle straps. Way too high for me with about a 3 1/2 inch heel, which puts me at about 6'2'', but just absolutely to die for.



As I sailed into Nordstrom's, I paused briefly at the children's department so I could feel like a good mom. I also glanced into the men's department so I could feel like a good wife. But the shoe department was beckoning from the other side of the store, so I quickly made my way over there. There they were...my fantasy shoes. You know the feeling you get when you see a pair that you just have to have? You imagine yourself wearing them and looking sexy and terrific. I picked up the display shoe, turned it over to see the price...and my heart sank. $295?? When did this happen? When did the price of shoes move comfortably past the $200 mark? My psychological guilt point is $120. Anything under this point I can manage to justify. Anything over this point moves into the price per wear category. 2 years ago I bought a pair of boots from my "go to for almost everything" store, J.Crew. (I was there long before Michelle Obama made it cool). The boots are brown leather with flat soles and zippers on the sides. I knew I had to have them the minute I saw them. I also knew that I would wear them out, so the $280 price tag didn't faze me. 2 years later, the price per wear is probably down to about 30 cents. And not only do I wear them with everything, I get complimented on them almost every time I wear them (which everyone knows is majorly important). Even at the ballgame last weekend, a guy said to me, "I love those boots." Nothing puts a smile on your face quicker than a compliment on your shoes.



But I had to say "no" to the lovely Cole Haans. I mean, in my previous life as a Retail Director/buyer, I might have been able to talk myself into them. Those were the good old days when I was traveling to New York and Paris. Those shoes would have fit into my life perfectly. But at this point in my life, as a mommy/ would-be-writer, those are not the kind of shoes that get worn a lot. I mean, maybe to church...but no, probably too sexy. Ok, maybe out to dinner with the husband...on a birthday or anniversary. So twice a year...which means $150 per wear...so sadly....no.



When I was in college, I worked at the local shoe department. The reason was suppose to be to help pay for school, but the real reason was to support my shoe habit. My boss would let me put any shoes I liked on hold until they reached the clearance price. When I think about the number of shoes I bought for $5.oo, it brings a tear to my eye.



The shopping day was not a complete bust. My daughter Rachel met me, and we had a great lunch at one of those frou-frou cafes where I rarely go anymore. She also talked me into the cutest Longchamps purse...lime green...and a pink wallet. I used my Nordstrom coupons on them, so the price was so low the lady actually grimaced. I also got to peruse the cosmetic counter, specifically Chanel, where I plan to concentrate on my next trip to the mall. Thank goodness, the price per wear on cosmetics is much easier to justify...



So until tomorrow, when I will be carrying my cute lime green purse...

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I love this:) I shop like you do!